Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Why I Pulled My Son Out of Public School

 Monday, July 14, 2014 at 10:30AM

Why I Pulled My Son Out of Public School

 

Ronda Bowen has been homeschooling from 2007. Here is her story.

 

Have you heard this comment from a school administrator?  “Your son makes himself a target for bullies.”  Way to blame the victim. If the teachers and administrators are not behind my son, why is he going to this school?  

 

Why do schools act so eager to place a label on a child?  Somehow my son became a target. For some reason my son became a “high risk” student. Administrators pulled my son out of class for disagreeing with the teacher about politics and about religion.  Administrators pulled my son out of class because he could do the math at a high level that other students. The administrators and his teacher became convinced that something was wrong with him.  Administrators continued to single out my son for testing and for conferences. My otherwise outgoing and happy child began to seem despondent, depressed and withdrawn.  He even said the words, “I hate myself.” Something needed to change. Homeschooling was the answer.

 

The decision to homeschool in this situation makes sense. Self-esteem and self-confidence come from competence.  Students must take charge of their own learning. Homeschooling offers that opportunity.

 

No comments: